Join us for the 9th Annual Earth Day in the Junction Celebration on Sunday, April 6th from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. This celebration of Earth Day includes a diverse group of exhibitors, children’s activities, live music, 5K Run/Walk, and Children’s Fun Run.
- This year’s Earth Day in the Junction Celebration will feature a 5K Run/Walk beginning at 9:00 am.
- The Children’s Fun Run begins at 10:00 am.
- The Toyota Hybrid Mileage Contest begins at 10:30 am.
- Visit our Exhibits and enjoy live music and activities at the West Des Moines Community Center and Green Grounds Café from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Visit www.earthdayinthejunction.com for more information!
Founded by the Historic Valley Junction Foundation and the Center on Sustainable Communities, Earth Day in the Junction will celebrate its ninth year in the Des Moines metro in 2014. This family friendly event focuses on education about earth friendly, recyclable, sustainable practices and reducing our carbon footprint.
Entering its 44th year, Earth Day has become a prominent celebration internationally. It was started by Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin in 1970 as an environmental protest to call attention to mounting pollution, wildlife endangerment and disregard for natural resources in the United States. In the ‘90s, the recognition of Earth Day went global. In 2006, a group of organizations and businesses with local, regional, national, and global sustainability concerns joined forces to create a local event to celebrate Earth Day and promote environmental education and green practices here in the Des Moines area.
Historic Valley Junction, in West Des Moines, is six square blocks of antique and specialty shops, art galleries, fashion boutiques, hair salons, service businesses and restaurants. Many of these businesses will be open to the public during the Earth Day Celebration.